Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Music, Music, Music

Yes, there is music in the air!  Some folks use instruments, other use kindness, still others use prayer.  Sometimes, if we pay attention and listen, we can hear the birds making music.  I even hear my oxygen machine making music....literally.  I am not sure it is doing it on purpose, but the way it "churns" out the air, sometimes I hear a melody. Now that could be just my ears playing tricks on me, I am not sure.  I seem to hear music in all sorts of places, but that could be a research project for some psychiatrist.  It would be a long time project, I AM sure!  ha ha ha

None the less . . . today I am so excited about music making opportunities coming that I can hardly wait to see how it will all pan out.  A brief background to explain.  Pat and I joined Gibson Wells United Methodist Church a while back because it was a place where we felt welcomed, and much more, because we felt we belonged. There is the complete range of people.  Babies on through the teenagers, young adults, middle adults and senior adults.  The youth group is outstanding!  Very active and wanting to actually DO things together with the rest of the church.  We have active small children WANTING to learn how to be acolytes and to be taught how to do that all so important job for worshiping Jesus.  This weekend we are going on our first (their normal) Annual all church Retreat at Lakeshore Methodist Assembly (Camp) on the shores of the Tennessee River.  So that is where we are at with our wonderful, and fulfilling Church family.

I had offered to teach basic, beginner level, Guitar lessons for anyone who wanted to learn the instrument at church.  I have TWELVE students from teenagers to seniors, that are eagerly learning what it takes to play the guitar.  Of course I am getting what I expected: "My fingers are awful sore".  I chuckle, because the first night of lessons, I told them that they were going through a time of toughening their finger tips and that it would be somewhat uncomfortable.  OK, actually I said: "Your fingers will hurt until they get calluses, but it will be worth the pain".  I did that right up front.  I looked forward to see how that would work. Results: It worked well.....a little confirmation of the correctness of my words, but they are continuing to work through it!  These folks are troopers!  So tonight, I will be teaching them a song to put their last few weeks of learning chords together.  Got any Rivers to Cross, is a simple pre-prayer song I have used in many worship services.  It has four chords.  It has a rhythm to it that is simple.  That is what they need to learn now.  How to play the chords so they sound good, with a rhythm that can be sung with.  It is indeed easier to learn if you can see how everything fits together to make music.  This will be that begining tool.  I am so excited for my students as they progress through the stages of learning how to make music.  Very soothing for the music maker.  When they find out that they are accomplishing something that has value in the hearts of most people, it will make all the unpleasant sore fingers fade into the past. I think that making music feeds the basic inner self  of most people.  It stimulates pleasant calmness or moving excitement, depending on the song or musical piece being played.  I am looking to guiding them forward into more chords, and how they are used in music to make more interesting songs.  Since I am just an old folk singer from the sixties, I am not all that complicated in my music, but it has gotten me to this level, and since I enjoy it, and people appreciate it, why would I NOT share it?

Some day in the future, because of this, there may be a new praise group sharing music in Worship of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  In the Bible, Psalm 98:4-6 says: Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.  Sing unto the Lord with the harp; and the voice of a psalm. With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the Lord, the King.  That is what makes all this worthwhile.  Through the many years at First Henderson United Methodist Church, being a part of the Celebration Music Team, it has been so rewarding spiritually, to make music to worship our GOD.  Through music, we learn a lot more and a lot faster, the blessings God has for us to enjoy this life and to prepare ourselves for life eternal with HIM.  To me, if I can share this joy with others that see what is in it for them to share, it is all worth the time and effort to do so.  Am I a trained musician?  If by that do you mean: can I read music? the answer is NO.  Do I know at a glance how a particular piece is played?  the answer is NO.   My secret is finding out the key it is written in, and sound it out. I find the chord make up, and then write the chords on the sheet of music, and learn by repetition.  But first I have to HEAR it, then learn it.  It is perhaps easier if I was to be able to read, but I don't, so I move on and learn my way.  Probably not be a very good professional, but I am not, and I don't let it hold me back from worshiping God through what HE has blessed me with.

That is what music is to me.  That is why I feel the urge to share it.  It brings happiness in the world.  We can all rejoice in making music and singing praises to our Creator and Friend.

To you who are reading this: You too, have a gift.  Share it with others.  Do not keep it to yourself.  God gives each of us a gift that is designed for us to share with others.  For some it may BE music, for others, it is something else.  The point is SHARING is what we are to do with what makes us happy and closer to God.  Maybe singing, maybe an act of Hospitality, or sending a card to someone who needs to know that there is someone who cares.  Or maybe . . . You fill in the blank.  What is it that you do, that makes you feel needed?  Maybe someone else feels the same thing....share it.  It may be visitation.  To sit and listen...or to read a book to someone who has difficulty reading.  Pray for God to help you share...it will make Him happy, it will make those that you are sharing with happy, and it will make you feel more complete and definitely more happy.

Keep praying, keep singing, keep smiling,

Blessings,
Gary










No comments:

Post a Comment