Monday, October 14, 2013

New punctuation?

What is with this number sign (#) phenomenon that people call "hashtag"?  The English language is getting so convoluted that it is becoming very difficult to keep up with word usage and symbol meanings.  Facebook is starting to be overrun with the "#" symbol, like it is a part of the English Language as a punctuation mark.  I don't know what to say or do about it.  Is there anything that I can do, except ignore it and don't let it bother me?  That won't happen, I can tell you that right now.  I am not the perfectionist of the English written word with complete knowledge of all the spelling and punctuation rules.  If you have been reading my blogs at all, that should be obvious by now.  However, I am getting pretty anxious about this "hashtag" thing.

When I was in High School, I did average work I suppose. Actually, I never failed at any of the courses I took, but was not an honor student either.  History was one of my favorite subjects.  American history is very interesting, and at the present time a lot of folks seem to have forgotten (assuming they actually knew, to begin with) what values our country was founded on. Our education system is not our only drawback, because through the years, slowly creeping into "normality", our civilization as a world and our country as a specific,  has been degrading.  Let me explain.  I remember my Grandparents values, how they spoke and how they treated people.  I admired their gentleness, warmth and the way they treated others.  I have fallen short of their examples.  There are times that I have a very difficult time to not say what I really think, because it would either disappoint my elders, or get me in trouble with what I said.  I am sure there have been times that the wrong word(s) have been chosen to explain to someone a feeling or a point of view.  I, like I like to think everyone has, have our own experiences to draw conclusions that are, in times of stress, blurted out without much pre-thought and wish they could have been re-said or not said at all.  Isn't that part of growing up and growing wiser?  I am sure some folks are slower at learning how to communicate than others are...so we must take those folks into consideration before jumping to wrong conclusions, and making a fool of ourselves.  Like on old Saturday Night Live shows, Rosanna Rosannadanna says "Oh never mind".  She used to crack me up.

I know some folks, particularly on FaceBook that love to argue most everything that someone says.  Most of the time those folks are courteous and kind when making their points.  It usually revolves around fact checking which is an area that is rarely used on FaceBook, so the points are mostly well taken by me, sometimes not others.  The point is: Using common sense, courtesy and an average respect of the English language so we can all understand, we can communicate much easier.

We (using the term, but excluding myself and others like me) have become a texting, electronic communicating, secluded within ourselves, people.  The need for short cuts in speech, as well as in electronic devices is warping our ability to be social to others when face to face.  Please refer to my opening statement about "hashtags".  I am about ready to start eliminating a good number of FaceBook "friends" that I do not nor cannot understand what their message is that they are trying to communicate. That, and it seems they have a need to let us know every movement they are making!  Come on now, is that all that important to spend time and effort texting a message about?

We have become personal isolationists without human touchy, feely, in our face communications and have shrunk to be "texters" but still want everyone to know what is going on for the majority of their waking hours....as it is happening!  Now with the abbreviations, and additional slang, it is very difficult to keep up with such activity.

I consider myself a story teller type of a person.  I love communicating through personal experiences and stories to help others understand. And as you can guess by now. . . . that takes a little longer than abbreviating texting.  When I am blessed and asked to share a sermon on a Sunday morning, I try to attach a story or two to the message to show that normal, everyday people (like the listeners are) can achieve or attain the salvation of Jesus Christ.  Quoting theologians or scholars or authors of some contemporary book that nobody has heard about is usually pointless because the listener can not relate to those folks, but they can relate to a story of kindness or bravery of what a common, ordinary person has accomplished.  So by using common words, simple story, well placed points, with common sense, common language usage, a message can be shared that most folks can comprehend.  I shudder to think of what the verbal language will be in a few years, if "hashtags" and other slang are given into the NORMAL language sets that the youth are using today.  And I don't want to think they are being taught that in schools today.

Enough of this for now.  Hope my sharing some thoughts has enlightened, entertained or opened a door of opportunity to communicate further with me or others, in a courteous, kind and helpful manner.  BUT, remember the most important thing in talking and sharing with others:  God loves us SO much that He sent His Son Jesus as our Redeemer and friend.  God reaches out to us all, all the time.  We can visit with more of His Gifts to us another time soon.  So until then,

Keep Singing, Keep Laughing and Keep Smiling,

Blessings,
Gary


No comments:

Post a Comment