Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Creativity is something PEOPLE do.

Sometimes in our lives, we find a need to create something.  Some call it a hobby, others call it a career.  The fortunate ones are those that can combine their hobby with a career.  I am not one of the latter, but have dabbled in several of the "arts" with much satisfaction.  Most of us get the "rush" from creating things with a multitude of media.  My "media" is multi-plistic in which I have found I enjoy painting on canvas with either acrylic or oil paints, and also enjoy music. Some seem to enjoy listening and that is WONDERFUL.  Without listeners, the players would't get feedback.  Just like art painters wouldn't get feedback if nobody ever saw their creations.

With that said, I have enjoyed almost 50 years playing the guitar.  Looking back on my life, it seems that it is dotted with multiple band/groups as I/we have moved from place to place.  Even had a country band (of sorts) while I was stationed on an Aircraft Carrier during a coupleVietnam tours!  Before that, I had a small country band of fellow Navy guys practicing for a square dance group.  Since Pat and I had very recently gotten married, we had the perfect place to practice that wasn't in the barracks. So practicing at our apartment seemed, at first, to be a great place to learn some songs, etc.  That changed in a hurry when I realized I had new commitments as a partner in marriage.  After our first gig, it was best for my music to be put aside for a while!  The life of a musician!  I am glad I didn't pick Musician as a career, because some are cut out for that, but far more are cut out to enjoy their music in a more relaxed, listener, format.

I found out that Painting on canvas could become very fulfilling as a hobby almost as much as my music.  So, I bought some paints, brushes and some stretched canvas and started learning and creating.  I found that I couldn't paint a person or any part of them ,to save my soul.  Therefore, I focused on landscapes.  It is really rewarding starting with a blank canvas and just waiting to see what would grow into something on the canvas that was pleasant to look at.

I have drifted away from painting off and on over the years.  Sometimes people would even pay me to paint something for them, and that was always a nice thing to happen, but I do it primarily for enjoyment, whether I get to sell one or not...that's not the primary purpose of a hobby is it?  Of course my children have chosen their favorites (that's what they told me, anyway) for their homes.  Todd has asked for another black canvas painting to go with some others he has of mine, so I may have to figure out how I did that the first time around, and get him another one.  Just recently, I got out my  easel, dusted it off and have a canvas ready to paint once again.  So we will see what develops this time around.

The pictures are some very unprofessional camera shots and scanned into this electronic media to show some of those paintings I have done.   I had painted a series of three small framed canvas of tropical island type area for my Mother and after her passing they ended up with my favorite cousin who has graciously given them back to me.  I have enjoyed seeing them again and when they finally make the South their all year around home, I will give them to her and her husband once again.  They will be close enough that we will visit them every once in a while.

 Woodland with a spring flowing creek

 I love making flowing creeks and rivers

 Las Vegas Mormon Temple

 This is a black canvas painting

 Another black canvas painting

Man in the Mist 

reminds me of a fishing trip up north Minnesota one summer

So there you have a smattering of some of my work.  Love Bob Ross style paintings

Remember to take some time to relax and do something enjoyable.  Stretch your imagination and your life will be fuller and more fun.  Never even think that you CAN"T do anything....it will surprise  yourself with what you CAN do it you try.  I am so exited even at 67 yrs old to learn something different.  For instance, several years ago I bought a Mandolin and am now getting around to learning how to play it!  I have found it is not as hard as I thought it was going to be, so that makes me happy too.  Now once I have that mastered, I have a Dobro style guitar sitting here for me to learn how to play. 

I am planning on living to 100, just because there is so much to learn and so enjoyment to achieve with things in my life that mean so much to me, to be able to share with family and friends.  God has it all here for you to learn, share, enjoy.

Remember:  
Keep Singing, Keep laughing, Keep Smiling 

Blessings,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment