Friday, May 24, 2013

Pets are something that the majority of families have . . . I think.  So we can all relate to the animal world a little better.  I have found that there is such a wide variety of pets that families have to choose from.  Just with the selection of dogs is a wide choice.  Some folks like the small, in-the-purse dogs, others like the medium size dogs like cocker spaniels, mini-schnauzers, etc. or large dogs like Great Danes, labs, etc..  Whatever people pick, there is usually a reason for choosing. What I don't understand, which is probably because I am not an outdoorsy type person, is those that pick large dogs then keep them penned up in a kennel or like I see it as it is: a cage.  They are so happy when you get to feeding them, like they are wanting your attention so bad, then when you get done pouring their food  in the trough, you walk away and ignore them until the next feeding.  I feel so sad for those animals.  Personally, I enjoy dogs we can play with in the house and in the back yard throwing a ball, and they take it and run, or drop it and come running to you!  That trick is always a day brightener!  But when the outdoor games are all over, they come in the house with you and are your constant companion.  They can make good security systems by barking when someone approaches the house, rings the doorbell, or perhaps is just walking by.  That has both advantages AND disadvantages.  Our mini schnauzer Wendy loves to bark at the slightest noise.  Most times, after much encouragement to stop barking (you know what I mean..."Wendy stop! Wendy NO!  Wendy shut up!")...stuff like that, she will cease barking and only growl a bit longer.  Sarge on the other hand mostly lets Wendy do the barking and he gets physically involved in sniffing the guest or keying on the location of Wendy's barking.  However annoying it is, it is also reassuring that not much gets close to our house without Wendy being aware of it and letting us know of her disapproval of her nap interruption!

Some folks like the short hair dogs like labs, and others.  I can't remember why we chose for our current dogs, Mini-Schnauzers, but knew right from the beginning they would require grooming.  So for the first few years we had regular trips to the groomer in downtown Henderson, NV.  Timing is very important I have found out.  Not when you get your dog into the groomer, but the timing between your moving your residence and the groomer deciding to retire from her business.  Because it was just that, that made it perfect to get some grooming lessons for our pets, and get some grooming equipment pretty darn reasonable!  I spent some quality time being trained how to groom mini-schauzers from Carol the groomer, and by the time we moved, Carol's training firmly in my mind (and in my notes) I was confident that I would not embarrass my animals with a poor haircut!  I have found that they actually like our time together, most of the time.  Sarge doesn't like taking a bath very much, but Pat insists that it is part of the deal...so he gets cleaned, WITH soap and water both.  Most times, the mud .... er... dirt is quite obviously needed to be removed as it is running down the drain of our deep sink/dog bath tub.  Today was Sarges grooming day.  After the bath, I lifted him over to the grooming table and started the blow dryer.  He gets "figity" with the dryer nozzle, but I can't cut wet hair.  This time is was doubly bad, as it has been an extended time since his last hair cut.  It was so bad, I had to shave his beard down to nothing, as there were so many matts he had gotten in it.  So he looks a little strange for now, but with time, and some combing out as it regrows, he will look like everyone is used to seeing, in a couple weeks.  Unlike his master, his beard grows faster.  After about an hour, he was dried out, combed out, brushed out, trimmed out and hugged a lot.  His paws really needed trimming between the pads and around the edges.  It is very important to do that, or they have a difficult time walking/running because of the pressure of the hair between the pads and the length covering the pads themselves.  But when I was done, and lots of hugging finished, he was lifted to the floor and his favorite treat, a vanilla wafer, was given, he bounded away to show Momma how good looking he was!

I had groomed Wendy yesterday, so she was knowing her time had passed and didn't have to put up a fuss when she saw me after Sarge came into Mom's office to show off.

The point of this story is this:  When people invest in pets, and then ignore them, it doesn't make any sense to me.  I can understand hunting dogs being kept outside in kennels, sort of, but when people go to the trouble to invest in pets of any kind like dogs, cats, tropical fish, etc. and then ignore them, what's the point of having them?  They are God's gift to us as well as the responsibility to take care of them properly.  If we can't do a simple thing like that, then, perhaps, we shouldn't be having them.  It is like that with ALL animals, small or large.  I have seen some really emaciated horses that just make my cry. On a whole, I think animals are a joy in our lives and should be taken care of and appreciated.  The love an animal shares with us is priceless....even when it is unwarranted. They love you just the same.
We have had cats, dogs, tropical fish throughout our life and have enjoyed and loved each and every one.  I highly recommend a pet or two for everyone.  They teach us so much on how to treat each other, their gift to us far outweighs the time and effort to take proper care of them.

Keep singing, keep praying, keep smiling

Blessings,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment