Thursday, May 30, 2013

RESPECT

What a powerful word isn't it?  What does it mean to you?  Something like "Respect is what I deserve.  Respect is what I should have."  Well, if that is what you are thinking, you are half right.  It IS what you should have, but with what cost?  Are you GIVING others respect?  Are you being courteous to others?  How are you acting when outside the home?  Rude behavior does not demand respect.  As a matter of fact, it almost requires that you NOT get respect.  Does that make sense?  It is a difficult question isn't it?  Think of it like this:  You are out and about.  Walking down the sidewalk, not necessarily paying attention to your surroundings because you are talking on your smart phone and both your hands are full with your stuff just bought at a store.  Your talking loud because you are talking over traffic noise and other pedestrians are having to dodge out of your way as your phone is cradled between your raised shoulder and your cocked head to hold it in place...and is trying to slip out.   You are not paying any attention to your surroundings.  IF you were to step back and see yourself, what would YOU think?  That is just one possibility.  There are others on how you talk to people...tone of voice, sarcastic smirk on your face, bullying attitude, inconsiderate disposition.  Would YOU respect someone with any of the above?  I should hope not, but that is because I was raised to RESPECT others, their opinions, their culture, etc.

Why is it that in today's culture right here in AMERICA, that young people seem to be not trained to respect others.  Not just peers, but older people as well.  There are so many ways that DISRESPECT is being shown in todays society.  Not ever being a gang member, ever, but I understand that a lot of what they operate on deals with respect.  That is what seems to cause a lot of intra gang disputes. Someone "disrespected" a gang member, so now we will deal with that.  So don't tell me the term "RESPECT" has no meaning.  It is just how it is applied that seems to be the problem.  How some dress is a form of disrespect, like the pants to the knees and the underwear showing thing.  That has got to be the DUMBEST dress fad of all times.  The history behind that comes from the prison community and is a sign that you are "available".  Boy, that is the LAST sign I want to be showing!

But a very disrespectful dress code is not the worst of it.  It is the attitude and speech that is the main challenges of attaining respect for each other.   I remember when I was a younger person, being guided by my parents on how to talk to people,  and how to have good manners and things like that.  I remember old movies with Jimmy Stewart in them as he was walking down a sidewalk and approached a lady, she in a dress, he in a suit and tie, with hat, would tip his hat as he he greeted her with a "Good day, Miss Amy."  She would respond something like "And to you too, Mr. Jones."  What a pleasant exchange, don't you think?  Wouldn't it be nice if we could regain our civility back?  Treat everyone with the respect and dignity that we would like for ourselves?  That would include CELL PHONE manners.  Yesterday, it didn't have to do as much with manners, but with COMMON SENSE.  A lady came out of Joann's Craft Store pushing a shopping cart (as they are know in the South . . . buggy) with a small child in the seat of the cart.  She had a phone propped on her shoulder, having a hard time controlling the cart, and finally went back into the store, gathered her bags and baby from the cart and came back out with her phone still propped on her shoulder, having a difficult time keeping it there, but didn't really care I guess.  The baby was over her hip and her lips kept talking on that precariously perched phone!  She finally made it to her car, almost dropping the packages AND the baby as she struggled to get everything put where it belonged . . . except for the PHONE!  In my humble opinion, saying to the caller, "I will call you back as soon as I get to my car." OR "I will call you back in a few minutes after I get home."  Of course that is just me, I dislike cell phones anyway.  I don't text, take pictures, or check my email on my phone.  I every once in a while TALK on my cell phone. If I want to take pictures, I will use a camera.  If I want to check my email, I will wait until I get home and check it on my computer.  When  I drive my car, I try to pay attention ALL the time I am driving.  No distractions like cell phones allowed.  When I get a phone call, I hand my phone to my wife.

It is a RESPECTFUL issue on all you do in public and at home, how you treat your surrounding people.  If you are talking on the phone in public, step aside somewhere more private.  People don't WANT to hear your conversation.  You are not that important to share your life with people just wanting to get a hamburger and fries as they stand in line with you. That is DISRESPECTFUL!  It is disrespectful to play your X-BOX game so loud that others in house cannot read, or listen to their music, etc.  Using foul language to your brothers and or sisters is DISRESPECTFUL!

What is the MOST  DISRESPECTFUL act of all is making fun of someones disability!  Every time I see a TV commercial about WOUNDED WARRIORS or some physical or mental disability challenge, I tear up and thank GOD that I am who I am, and am blessed with what I have as far as my body and brain capabilities.  There are so many with less than we have, and they deserve ULTIMATE RESPECT, not the disrespect of staring, and/or pointing and laughing, or rude comments being made.  We are all God's children and deserve respect. I have had rude comments of the machine noises I use that provide me with needed Oxygen. It is embarrassing. Pat and I have been special needs foster parents for many with challenges that make them need assistance in living a full life, that everyone deserves.  There is nothing scary, or amusing about their appearance or speech patterns.  They are people just like you and me.  I have even found that there are some kids and adults that have special talents to compensate for other challenges they are experiencing.  We had a child in our CUB SCOUT Pack years ago that had Cerebral Palsy but he had the most beautiful singing voice we have ever heard.  So a lot of times, when someone is a little short in one area of their life, they have some really great talents in other parts.

Don't disgard people because of how they look.  Old people have tons of life experience that others can glean and apply to their lives.  We are not ALL senile....and even if we were, we deserve RESPECT because of who we are, what we have learned, what we have experienced and simply because that is what is RIGHT.  Don't discard others because of how they look, how they walk, or talk.  Inside is a person that deserves RESPECT.  RESPECT is such an all encompassing word that takes every humanistic trait into account.  the dictionary, among other things stated, says this: due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others: respect for human rights.  Also: avoid harming or interfering with: it is incumbent upon all boaters to RESPECT the environment.

So lets all work a little harder on RESPECTING the people that surround us in our daily adventures.  Be conscious of the effect that you have on those in your travels, either to or at work, school, vacation.  Courtesy goes hand in hand with Respect.  It feels great when it happens to you.  Doing something for others is also GREAT!

Remember, keep singing, keep praying, and keep smiling

Blessings,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment