Tuesday, May 28, 2013

We  made it through another Memorial Day, thinking of all those men and women who fought for our freedom and the freedom of the folks in other countries we went to serve through the years.  It was they that gave the ultimate by giving their lives for others.  I am positive that those who choose the military are not charging forward in their career plans to be anybody's sacrificial lamb, but know that if the situation calls for action on their part that involves risk, it will be done, because that is what we military folks do.  None of us (or should I say . . . the great majority of us) have every intention of surviving to old age and retirement.  However, there may come a time that is of lesser importance.  So that is what Memorial Day is all about . . . remembering and honoring those that have been put in a position to fight and protect those that are unable.  We do that with many tears in our eyes as "Taps" is played over and over again on the television during the day. Something inside tightens up as the notes are played.  Does that happen to you too?  I don't know if it is the meds I am on or what, but it seems a lot of tearful moments went by yesterday.

I am including a boot camp picture of me today.  The "why" is that it reminds me of when I was young and full of ambition to make something of myself.  I loved the military.  Still do.  When looking at what today's soldiers are going through, I had it easy.  Sometimes I think about that.  I am sure that at the time, I didn't think it was so easy, but looking back on it, there is so much I didn't have to stress over, that the current soldier and sailor has to contend with.  My deployments while in the Navy were (for those that haven't had the chance to read my previous editions) were what we call Med Cruises and WESTPAC Cruises.  They were 6 month deployments away from our home port.  On the East Coast, my ship was the USS Shangri-la (CVA-38) was the home port was Mayport, Florida.  One the West Coast, my ship was the USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) and was home ported in San Diego.  When I had switched over to the Army, I volunteered for my Desert Storm deployment, and it was 6 months, but was extended an additional 2 months.  Now, it seems a year deployment is the minimum and re-deployement with little home time, is a very common situation.  There was one individual honored yesterday that was on his FIFTH deployment when his life was taken.  That is tough by anyones standards.  So when I see these commercials about the Wounded Warrior's challenges, I most times tear up and pray for their healing.  I also feel that somehow, I personally have been blessed to not have that situation at my household.  Not that I didn't have challenges when returning from Desert Storm, but not to the extent of what we are witnessing a large contingent of our military brothers and sisters are suffering in todays conflicts.  What a blessing I have been given, in the life I have led.

What can we do about it?  Listen for God's whisper...He will show you what to do.  As I am healing with my personal physical challenges, that is what I am doing.  I have the faith to understand we are living not by our timing, but by HIS timing.  I have the faith that it will be His timing and direction that will show me what to do about what he has, and will put, on my heart.  I suggest that you do the same.  We are all here on earth to do something positive and in such a way as to glorify God and all His goodness.  We are not here for our own humanistic pleasures but to help others.  To do what?  That is the mystery, and the excitement!  God will give us some guidance on that, and it will be something good.  He never gives us something that we haven't been prepared for....He sees to all the prep work...even if it is to do what you feel that He wants you to do, requires going to school for.  As the saying goes: If God brings to to it, He will see you through it!

Settle down, relax, be still.  Listen for God's whisper, like I am doing.  Then ACT upon what you hear or feel, when God has the timing HE wants in place.  It will be exciting, and will renew your spirit completely.  God has done some remarkable things in my life and I know He is not done yet.  He has given me the the opportunity to Pastor a church.  How awesome is that????  I have been truly blessed.  Now that I am healing, I am SO excited for the next whisper from God, guiding me to my next assignment.  You can be still for a while and wait and listen to what it is that He has in store for you too.

Keep singing, keep praying, keep smiling,

Blessings,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment