Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Something special today . . . TWO trains of thoughts for the price of ONE!  (hope they don't collide!)

Among the many friends that Pat and I have been blessed with, earlier today I was focused on one of the best of the best friends in our lives...Carol and Herman Hagen.  They are indeed at the top.  But like a beach ball, there is always room for more top of the top, first of the firsts . . . well, you get the idea.  I have found that some are very competitive about being first in some things, but this couple that I was talking about earlier, is NOT one of those folks.  This couple is like all of our other good and great friends, and like us, are "Take us like we are, because that's WHO we are." kind of people.  Pat and I do not have the ability to put up a false front in our relationships to each other or to others.  There is never a competition among our friends to be "at the top".  What a blessing to be surrounded by many friends that seem to stick around in our lives, through the good times, and the difficult times.  Rosemary and Kevin Headlee are indeed in that category as well.  Looking back on our lives, it does seem that other than the occasional great neighbor like Jim and Dee Williams in North Minneapolis, those that mean so much to us have come from church relationships.  I guess that says a lot by where your interests are though.  I can imagine that  there are folks that hang around at the neighborhood drinking establishment that develop close friends, or those that hang around at the country club develop close relationships there as well.  I am NOT saying that is bad, just that it is a fact.  Personally, I like my "church friend relationships" because we are starting with the most positive end of the scale to help direct our lives for the development for and the goal of "making Disciples of Jesus Christ".  There is that common goal to start out a firmly based friendship.

Rosemary and her beautiful voice is always involved in music wherever she goes and whatever church they are attending. Her bubbly and giving personality lends itself to her developing close and lasting relationships quickly.  Kevin is more of a "stand alone and watch" personality.  That is until the "who he is watching" passes his barrier test. Looking back in our relationship, it didn't take me too long to get that test done.  We are brothers of different mothers.  We are the same coin but two different sides.  Again, you get the idea.  As Certified Lay Speakers, we developed together in our own areas, and were surprised (at lest I was) when we both started to develop our passion for preaching God's word!  Kevin was a regular on the Lay Speaker Sunday Preaching rotation.  So for Pat and I, Rosemary and Kevin also became special friends that have been with us for so many years even though distance has put a barrier of sorts up, we have still maintained a close friendship.  Our son Todd and his family have also maintained a very close relationship with Rosemary and Kevin through the years.  In our recent cross country trip, Rosemary and Kevin came in from Southern California for almost a week to visit with us and Todd's family.  What a wonderful reunion of catching up that was.

Each of the two Sunday's of Worship at First Henderson UMC was a full blown reunion of sorts for me.  There were so many friends that came up to Pat and I with bubbling over love and affection for us. I wish we had the time to visit longer with each and everyone of them, but just couldn't cram anything more into our schedule.  A month away from our home we found was a maximum time stretch.  It WAS great to experience though and I will be thinking back on the few precious moments spent with each person, for years to come.  Jim Peck pops up in my mind, as I read this back before publishing.  So glad we got to visit although way too short, Jim.  The Youth of that church are soooo special. How they have grown in Christ and expanded their ministry to other youth is truly amazing!

One last "Henderson friend" I MUST mention is Sue Ulrich.   She and friend Sue Thomas developed a Clown Ministry at First Henderson UMC years ago that was awesome!  As a leader in the church, I was able to see the fantastic ministry those two had, develop!  Through the years and via FaceBook, Sue Ulrich and I keep in touch and it was HER that actively encouraged me to start a blog when I was really down and discouraged in what life was handing me.  It was Sue, that through her words of friendship, encouraged me, and gave me the strength, to start writing my stories.  We all need friends like her . . . thanks Sue!

So again, I encourage everyone to search out and develop friendships.  It takes some effort, I assure you will be worth it as it grows and envelops you with love that you perhaps have never known before.  There IS something special about close friends that is hardly describable.  You will know it when it is there.  Life without quality friends is a wasted life.  Please . . . don't waste yours, start collecting you support group...you FRIENDS.  You will be rewarded so greatly by being a friend, as well as having friends.


Remember, keep singing, keep praying, keep smiling.

Blessings,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment