Thursday, April 18, 2013

How many look forward to Medical Tests, RAISE YOUR HANDS!  I thought so.  Nobody.  This is a preparation day for me.  Years ago, after I returned from Desert Storm,  I had a heart Cath. test.  It was rather nerve wracking as I was not real sure what was going to happen or even what it was!  My cardiologist  had decided that this test was needed to find out the answers to some questions about my circulatory system.  Being a modest person, when I found out they were going to insert a device into my groin area, panic set in.  They have drugs to reduce that problem and after a bit I was ok to watch the TV monitor as the journey through my blood system commenced.  It was at the last part of the test that went a little amok.  As I was watching the monitor, suddenly everything went black...like middle of the night darkness.  Couldn't see a thing. No shadows, nothing.  And the nurse's voice was calling me saying "Breathe Gary, breathe" It sounded like she was a couple rooms down the hall. I remember thinking "I am breathing"  Then there was a horrible pain to my chest.  I found out later that it was from those little machines you see the medics on TV with, when they shout "CLEAR!" The victim bounces off the table a few inches, and dies.  I am glad to say, the last part did not happen, well, I didn't stay dead anyway.  I guess the line did not stay flat long enough to be considered dead.....thank GOD!  However, I had to put a gel on the outlines of the two paddle marks on my chest for several weeks.  It seems that I have an allergy to the trace material they use for this test, and it stopped my heart.  The doctor spoke to Pat (I am told) that "Gary has a strong heart muscle".  I think it is a good thing too!

I am telling you this as I am preparing for another one Friday morning. Am I scared?  A little.  Since my hospital visit a couple months ago, and the chemical stress test, the Pulmonary Function test, and all, they seem to want to double check my circulation system again . . . . just to rule out heart problems. I'm fine with that.  I am all for eliminating things to worry about.  What I have going on is so minor in comparison to what others are going through.  Look at the Boston Marathon casualties.  They have more to deal with than what I have to deal with.  What a disaster.  What hate.  We must keep everyone in prayer for their healing and peace of mind.  Their lives have indeed changed. In a way, it makes my challenges seem like a walk in the park.  IF we just look around, we realize that we are not alone in the worry department.  We are not alone when it comes to challenges in life.  There is ALWAYS someone who is suffering with pain or anxiety much more than we are.  Does knowing that help us any?  Most of the time not.  It may keep us more humble for a while though.

I am taking some medication today to counter the trace materials adverse effect on my heart, so it won't stop again.  I died once, it wasn't my time, I didn't like the shocking experience and don't want to repeat it.  No, there was no light at the end of the tunnel. I saw neither the light NOR the tunnel.  Just blackness and the audio distance. The procedures have improved over time, so I am hopeful there will not be a replay of the last time.

All of this is to say that no matter how firm a spiritual foundation we have, human fear creeps in to cause us some challenges.  I just finished the book written by Chris Kyle the Navy Seal, Sniper.  In comparison to the injuries and mayhem he dealt with and then to be killed after all that he endured, is another senseless loss of life.

So now that I have written my therapy for the day, Tomorrow I can stand tall, put a smile on my face and say a prayer for God to guide the doctors and staff, and suck it up.  The results will give everyone the knowledge needed to continue my journey in God's service.  AMEN


Remember, Keep singing, keep praying, keep smiling

Blessings,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment