Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday for some is just another day off work.  Or a day at the golf course.  Or a morning on the river fishing...communing with nature, God's work, up close and personal. Any excuse to NOT be in church?  There was a time for me, after a difficult week at work, that I didn't want to go to church either.  Then I would drag myself there, because Pat insisted that we go.  Then about two minutes into the sermon, her sharp elbow and my rib cage would start to be in conflict.  I thank Pat for her insistence on my staying awake because it was the right thing to do.  I was "the Husband", the "Father".  I needed to lead my family by example, and the example I was giving was not the proper one, by snoozing at church.  My turn around seemed to have worked because all three of my children go to church regularly, and I am very proud of them for setting an outstanding example for their families.

How we live is seen by others that we don't even know are watching.  "It's none of their business" you say.  That may be true, but that doesn't keep them from seeing, does it?  "Harry down the road runs down to the river fishing every Sunday morning, I think I will too."  What comes to mind is: Monkey see, monkey do.  Does that fit your life?  Are you the one that is sitting in a boat on a lake or under a tree at the river, when there is church happening?  After all.  Take the plunge and start attending a church, and seeing if there isn't a change in your attitude.  Give it some time, because it takes time to form new habits.  My children were brought up as United Methodists.  My two oldest are now attending, and are MEMBERS of Baptist churches, and my youngest and his family are attending a Non-Denominational Mega Church in Henderson NV.  "Why?" you ask.  Because they found a church that fits their schedule, comfort level (or maybe it is their challenge level) and  most importantly, are being spiritually fed every week.  My son at the mega church takes his family on Saturday evening, because of his work schedule, and there are Christian Children's programing for his four daughters.  It doesn't really matter what denomination of a church you attend, it is only a man made label anyway. Although, being United Methodist, it would be nice if they had kept that family tradition up.  I understand and am in continual conversation with all three making sure they are active in their churches of choice.  Here in West Tennessee living 10 minutes from my daughter, her Church Pastor and I have become a good friends and I am encouraging him in every way I can, because he is a Brother in Christ, denomination doesn't matter, we are serving the same God...the one and only God...the one that sent us His Son, Jesus Christ to be our Redeemer and Savior.  Ya, that's the one.  Labels....traditions, techniques...comfort levels...make up of the congregation...spiritual fulfillment.  All important parts to becoming part of a church family.

Organized religion has its challenges.  That turns a lot of folks off, and drives them to the river on Sunday morning.  Go for the message.  Are you being spiritually fed on Sunday Morning?  Or Sunday Evening?  Or Wednesday evening?  Or when ever they meet to worship?  If the answer is YES, then don't worry about church politics, or what so and so said, or (you choose your excuse).

It is Sunday morning.  A lot of churches are holding Worship Services this morning.  Give it a try.

Here's an excuse that you can't use.  "I don't have a suit, don't wear one, can't stand them."  That is fine. Clothing is required at most churches.  However, clothing style or fashion is NOT.  Do your best to keep the mud on your boots to a minimum, but come on in.  That is what is important.  "I don't have any money to do that plate passing around thing."  That's ok....maybe next week, or later. We want you to hear the message and be spiritually fed.  Any excuse you have can most of the time be ignored.  Your spiritual health and growth is what is important.  Give it a try.  The people are waiting and hoping to see you join with them in Worship...maybe today that will happen.  Check it out.

Remember: Keep singing, Keep Praying, Keep smiling, and see you in church.

Blessings,
Gary


No comments:

Post a Comment