Sunday, April 14, 2013

I sit here in the midst of creative depleatness.  I know, that is not a word. Perhaps it is a feeling that has no word to explain it and I just created the word.  I was thinking about the word FEAR.  How many have had that feeling?  What caused it?  How did it go away?

I remember to a time in 1965 when I had just gone on Active duty in the Navy and was ordered to Philadelphia Naval Station to process in.  I guess it went pretty well, as my recollection has no major FEAR factor to it while there. As a seaman, I did some fill in duty with the Chow Hall but it wasn't much of a problem.   After being processed in, I got orders to the Shangri-la (CVA-38) which I have shared in previous posts.  I was given tickets to fly to Naples, Italy and sent on my way.  A recent High School graduate guy . . . on his own . . . . kind of . . . . sent to an exotic place on the Mediterranean Sea.  What could possibly be wrong with that?  Upon arrival, I found my ship was out at sea for a few weeks and I was to wait for her arrival.  NUTS!  I was hoping for a carrier landing experience.  Never did get one.  Instead, there was a Destroyer Tender (USS Tidewater) ported in the harbor and they needed some help in the painting and polishing department.   There were even a couple US Submarines tied up a little ways from us toward the landing.

USS Tidewater, Destroy Tender Helicopter landing pad, Naples , Italy

One morning I was fitted with a life jacket and a harness.  It wasn't shaping up the way I was expecting.  Seems they needed the side of the ship painted and this was the day.  Did I ever tell you that I have a height fear?  With a line firmly attached to my harness and the other end wrapped around a railing with another sailor at that end, they lowered me over the side and down to what is called a "stage".  It is two - 2x12's side by side to stand on.  As I remember it, I was about 40' above the water line.  Now the ship was moored solidly with her stern to the sea wall (bunch of large rocks stacked up to  create a safe harbor for the ships.  So the water was calm, the sun was shining, and all should have been right.  However . . .  FEAR took over.  I was frozen to the rope that was holding one end of the stage.  I couldn't move.  After a little discussion with a compassionate man on the other end of my life line, they decided this really was not a job that I should be doing.  He said, "Hold on. We will lower you to the next spot below you so we can get you off of there."  That is when I found out that when they lower these things, it is one end at a time.  THAT really freaked me out as I was now holding on for dear life to the upper ropes and the stage was about a 45 degree angle downward!  I thought my heart was going to burst!  Finally after what seemed like hours, I was clambering over the railing back on firm deck, heart pounding, sweat pouring profusely from every gland.  That was when I found out for sure, I had a definite fear of heights.  I was reassured by the Deck crew that it was ok.  Some people can do it and others can't.  It is the way we are put together.

Fear is a major part of our lives isn't it?  We all have them to some degree.  Some folks have fears of insects, while others have fears of unclean things.  Fear is an inner feeling that we all have and some can't get rid of, or even control.  I don't really know why, but it is there.  To prevent my fear of heights from kicking in, I just refrain from going in those situations.  Flying in a commercial airplane is fine.  It is walking to the edge of the Grand Canyon and looking over it, that is problematic.  I used to have a problem being in front of people.  I know, I did work through that and now have no real problem with that, provided I have prepared.  Especially when I am playing guitar and singing.  I need to have my songs "scripted out", with chords and words, preferably large enough for my aging eyes to read easily.
So we find ways to make our fears not so fearsome don't we.

Another way I found to lessen my fears is talking with God.  He is always listening to our plea's and knows our fears and our hurts, as well as our joys and happiness.  It is so reassuring to know that.  Don't you wish more people knew that secret?  How about telling your friends and family it is ok to be afraid of things.  Talk it over with God and He will give you peace.

So there you have it:  The point of this story on this Fine, Sunday morning is:  Give your fears to God.  He will gladly help you through them.  God is wanting your joy and happiness shared with others, and knows what that will take on your end.  You see, it is a two way conversation.  Talk, listen, repeat.

Have a GREAT Sunday.

Remember, Keep singing, Keep praying, Keep smiling,

Blessings,
Gary



1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of when I was sent to the Bon Homme. They sent me to San Diego, but the ship was in Long Beach. I had to take a bus north, the next day.

    Did you ever get to land on a carrier? I had that experience one time, when I came back from some printing training with civilians. It was fun to land on the carrier. I would have liked to do that more.

    ReplyDelete