Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How do you figure out what to do on any particular day?   Of course your boss would have some input on that question wouldn't he/she/they?  When we were young and just learning how to read, etc. our Parents (or other caregiver perhaps) guided us to what we needed to do, at pretty much, any given time.

Then as time moved on and we gained knowledge of the world and of the mind, we were able to move out on our own, blazing a trail of happiness and excitement!  Right?  What we found out was that there were limits to our abilities.  We couldn't just wish something into existence but had to plan, save money or other resources...like gathering materials a little at a time, etc. to complete a personal project or two. Somewhere along the line, hopefully an education is attained.  You find an occupation that you enjoy and live long enough to gain enough resources and funds to be able to not have work.  From your saving, planning, and investing for the future in what you can find during your journey through life, you are able to do what has been named "RETIRE".  At the very beginning of my "working" life, I started to think seriously about the end goal, of not needing a job, because of my efforts during the work part of my life.  Retirement as I understood it, seems to be a thing of the past as I am sitting here watching the news, and listening to my younger friends, as well as my children.

I am concerned about not only my children and their part in this new economy and mindsets that eventually determine a whole lot of decisions that were not there, interfering with the how much, how long, with what medium we collected and set aside for the future.  For example, I remember a little perk to put away for a long period investment called "Savings Bonds".  Over a period of years they paid about 7% on your monthly investment that you could pick from.  Automatic payroll deduction and all.  They are basically worthless now, so that resource has shriveled up.  And to kick that can even further down the road,  now with what we contributed to our whole lives into a retirement SUPPLEMENT called Social Security, is now almost a thing of the past because the politicians that were in control of those funds have raped it and given it to non-contributors because of social pressure and no doubt other influences.  So another "hedge" to be able to retire (in my time) was to have several careers!  What a concept.  At 17, while still in High School, I joined the Navy Reserve on a delayed entry program.  That worked well as it developed into a career of development that transcended beyond the Navy (after reaching the level of Chief Petty Officer in 7 years) and because of a massive Military cutback, to the Army and reaching the level of Master Sergeant (E8) and on to retirement after two wars (Viet Nam and Desert Storm) and thirty years of an exciting and rewarding career.  In the beginning, the government said:"Put in at least 20 years and we will pay you a retirement." I took them at their word and completed the time PLUS.  Along the way, I found myself working for the City of Las Vegas and stayed around to earn their retirement plan, and was able to leave the job thing at the age of 60 years.  Through those years from 17 to 60 I walked a lot of paths, did a lot of things, traveled the world over, raising a wonderful family with the help and support of a fantastic wife that we recently celebrated our 46th Wedding Anniversary.  It was through her that kept everything together.....I just went and did.....she is the one who made it all work.  Our three children are grown with children of their own. I am so proud of them for turning out so great, in spite of the time that I was not able to be at home to play and guide them as much as other Dad's did. I had the privilege of getting a head start from MY Dad who had a printing business, and a faith that I could build everything upon. In all my time, I was unemployed less than 6 weeks.  During that unemployment time, I was looking for employment EVERY DAY... faithfully.  I was willing to work anywhere or in anything that I could do. Nothing was menial, I would start at the bottom if necessary...no problem there. As it was God, again, provided a path for future success.

But now I am seeing a dark cloud on the horizon that concerns me.  Not for me, but for my children.  The way the "entitlement" talk is going around it looks to me that they are going to try to disrespect their contracts they promised and finagle a way out of not paying what they promised and leave us all high and dry.  My observation is that the people that go into politics are usually good people.  It is when they get there and find out they can't get their promises to their people done, unless they play the career politicians games and that leads to stupidity and destructive thinking.  There appears to be no way for this crud to stop and turn itself around.  So the result is that the hard working people are becoming less and less because the incentive is getting less and less.  The more people there are that take what they don't earn, the less there are to earn enough to support them AND themselves.  So simple thinking that even someone like me can figure that one out! I may be able to personally escape the full force of this challenge but only because of age....what a thought huh?  I have three very intelligent children....through hard work and focus, they have worked and sweated to make a nice living for themselves.  It is them that I fear they will have to deal with all this governmental foolishness and dishonesty under the guise of "assisting those that can't help themselves", which is the same as saying "supporting those that REFUSE to support themselves."  When a government spends more than the people can pay for, we are doomed.

I am not a college graduate.  I am not all that smart when it comes to a lot of things, but common sense seems to have been thrown out the window.  I wish I could be more positive today.  But some times things need to be brought out and said.

With that said, one thing I do know.  Jesus Christ is our Lord and our Redeemer.  It is through HIM that our Salvation is gained.  This world is only a temporary place that we are just passing through.  I have followed Him and He has provided my family with a decent life style based on a firmness of commitment to help others that are incapable of helping themselves.  I need to be an example for those that are dealing with bad influences so they can draw themselves up and help others through their personal journey through life.  If we don't live our life as though God is walking along side us, which He is, others will never understand what a joy and relief that is, and there is really nothing else of value that doesn't fade over time, or gets taken away, that we can offer them.  It does make us accountable though doesn't it?

The point of the story is this:  With today's many challenges, and all the dark clouds amassing on the horizon, we MUST continue to have FAITH.  Faith in ourselves, our focus, our families, and our GOD.  If you claim you are a Christian, have faith in Jesus Christ!  It is what Christians do.  Read the Bible.  I have several friends that are reading the Bible on the focus of completing it in a year.  One friend in in his third year of reading a different translation each year!  Now there is FOCUS.  Reading the Bible is a way to focus on your faith.  Another way is to Attend a Church of your choice regularly.  Normally, there are some folks there that can help you be an accountable Christian, that will help both of you.  For our Jewish friends....Praise God as you do so well.

So keep singing, keep up your Faith, and above all, Keep smiling.

Blessings
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment