Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Singing is a way of life for a lot of folks.  It was and is a big part of my life.  Some people can sing, and some are not so good at it, but enjoy singing anyway.  Why is that?  Why do some of us like singing so much?  It is an outlet for our emotions.  It is an outlet for our giving back to God His gifts that He has given us.  He has given some of us  the gift of being able to learn musical instruments as well.  For me, I can play basic 6 and 12 string guitar, some very basic pedal steel string guitar, bass guitar, learning mandolin and have played basic banjo.  I would love to be good at all of these instruments, as well as learn how to play a Dobro guitar.  Making music is a passion of mine.

There is a minor drawback on all of this music singing/instrument situation.  I do not know how to read music.  I have found that this is not just me.  It is pandemic among musicians, I understand.  It would have been disaster during the big band times, as reading music with so many different instruments playing so much interlocking melodies, reading was a NECESSITY!  However, in todays music, of a more simplistic style, it is not as critical, but still necessary.  When I  was learning to the play the guitar, I learned chords. I learned how most songs are played and what chords make up a key.  How it is arranged and what a "bridge" is and how it does what it does. I learned that the words have to keep up with the beat that the instruments playing, because if the singer draws out a phrase, it screws up what the instruments are playing.  So music with instruments and singing is a team effort.  That is a learning mark.  So now that I have the basic information of how music is written, and the relationship between instruments and voice, what do I do with it?  Well, I can sing and accompany myself and others to created a harmonious sounds of praise, joy, and humor.  All this without knowing how to read music.  The professionals of Nashville have resolved that challenge.  They designed a way to communicate what key and the modifications are throughout the song by numbers. Surprisingly, it is called "The Nashville Number System".  I have the book.  Well . . .  isn't that a step in the right direction?  I bought it, paged through it several years ago.  I'll get back to it later.

I have even taught a few students how to play the guitar.  Still don't know a lick about converting the notes on the paper and the string they represent on the guitar, mandolin, banjo or steel guitar to sound.  Tell me what key you are playing in, and I will do a decent job of keeping up with the song.  Don't give me a solo part, as I would probably not do so well giving a decent "turn around" for you.

Singing goes along with guitar playing  pretty well, for a minimalist presentation.  I love to sing.  I have found that because of my recent breathing challenge, singing seems to give me joy as well as "aerobic" value as well.  Of course I can't reverse the damage that has been done, but I am thinking that perhaps I can keep what little I have. So I am now thinking of gathering a little group that loves to sing, play and loves the Lord.  We will sing praise songs, and maybe a few other generic fun songs that everyone can laugh at.  In Henderson we did a lot of Gaither (Southern Baptist type songs), some Maranatha! Music, www.maranathamusic.com among other types. That is what I envision, but we all bring our likes and dislikes to the group.  I will be ready to get going with this after some more doctor evaluations are complete and a couple other issues are completed. I will keep y'all informed.  

Point of the story:  No matter what your true talents are, GOD has given you joy.  That joy can be proclaimed through music and/or singing if you choose.  It doesn't matter if you do it professional quality or beginner quality. It doesn't matter if you can read the notes on the sheet music or not.   It is for the glory of GOD and no one can take that away from you, through criticism or accolade. So go out and make a joyful noise unto the Lord!   Keep on singin'

Blessings,
Gary

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep sending you songs we do that I think you can handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan. Thank you. Hope you're enjoying the blog....

      Delete